Article provided by: Prison Professors

How To Reduce Your Sentence

At Prison Professors, we prepare individuals for a successful journey through sentencing. If you wonder how to reduce your sentence, we are the answer. Our leading team of experts helps over 1,00,000 incarcerated people every year find employment opportunities and rebuild their reputations.

What are my odds of changing my sentence?

The court usually decides whether to grant a sentence modification or not. As someone facing incarceration, you may request a compassionate release or a reduced sentence. An astute and experienced attorney may ask the court to reduce your sentence by presenting your case in the best possible light and diminishing the downsides.

With a skilled criminal lawyer by your side, you will be successful in your attempt to shorten excessive prison sentences. The lawyer can assist you in gathering and presenting favorable evidence, such as good behavior during imprisonment. However, your odds may not look very promising if the court sees you as a danger to the community.

When to ask for a sentence reduction?

Criminal cases function in two phases: guilt phase and sentencing phase. You may request a sentence reduction during the sentencing phase of the criminal process. Your lawyer can ask for a lesser sentence at this point.

Based on the jurisdiction rules, you or your attorney may file a motion for a more lenient sentence in writing or orally before the court. The court will then set a hearing, allowing your attorney to argue the merits of your request. It is critical to file the motion before the judge finalizes your sentence, as retroactive attempts are rarely allowed in sentence modifications.

How to modify a criminal sentence?

There are several ways to reduce a federal prison sentence, including:

  1. General mitigation

If your case involves mitigating circumstances, a federal judge may consider reducing your sentence. If the crime no longer seems as severe as considered previously, a judge may use a different guideline range, which will also result in a lower sentence. In some cases, the characteristics or history of the defendant can also help receive a reduced sentence.

  1. Fast track, duress, and coercion

If you expeditiously plead guilty, you relieve the government from the time and expense associated with your case litigation. In such cases, the judge may reduce your sentence, especially since pleading guilty also carries the notion of admittance and regret. Committing a crime under significant duress or coercion can also benefit from a reduced sentence, provided you can prove that in court.

  1. Criminal History

If you have no prior convictions or your previous convictions are not as bad as the current one, your judge may order a sentence based on a lower criminal history category.

All it takes is one call to learn more on how to reduce your sentence. Get in touch with Prison Professors at 561-490-4544 to prepare for the challenges that lie ahead. We specialize in providing the guidance you need to rebuild the confidence and begin on a new journey towards a better and brighter future.

How To Reduce Your Sentence